Monday, September 2, 2013

Anchor Drills & Other Excitement



Written Sat am, Aug. 31: We are Kimmswick bound, having departed Alton Marina about 11:15 am today. We motored to Alton from Port Charles on Friday, encountering no locks, so it was an efficient and smooth sailing. Soon after departure from Pt Chas, we did an anchoring drill as we'd not practiced at all.

Drill went fine, with the Captain directing the first mate's every move (necessary!) We then anchored for lunch and enjoyed what little breeze found its way through the cabin.

Now to hoist the anchor. Not so fine a job did I do; the anchor was not positioned to lay gently into the trough as it crested the peak. Instead, the anchor shank lurched to the side of the trough, outside the confines of the trough. Oops. To be corrected later. We boated the rest of the way to Alton with me only occasionally complaining of boredom.

Now tied up at Alton Marina and dripping wet from sweat, I started a crock pot chicken recipe while the ac got going good and strong. Clay decided we needed to reposition the anchor prior to hitting the pool, but he already had his cooler packed. Anchor positioning didn't go so good. Accident #1 aboard the SaSea Sally. My right index finger got smashed between chain links and the anchor shank as Clay yanked on the heavy point end. Four hours later found us back at the boat and ready to eat, but the interim involved a trip to Alton Memorial ER, 3 x-rays, 1 tetanus shot, 3 stitches, 2 broken bones, a 6-week splint, a 45-minute wait at WAG for an antibiotic, and $18 in cab fares (now realizing the disadvantage in not having wheels!). I vaso-vageled (term used by ER doc for light-headedness) at the ER, not having lost that much blood, but the idea of such must produce a psychological effect I guess. When we came out of the hospital we saw a beautiful cloud formation silhouetted by the sun in the background.


Dinner was good. I ate but had a glass of wine first and then ate, though not very hungry. I guess this kind of 'drama' or 'trauma' does that to you.

Amazingly, I'm not too sore today, neither the finger nor the tetanus-shot arm. It is H-O-T as we head toward Kimmswick. Locked through just fine and now continue down river. Life is an adventure, eh?

It's now Sunday morning and we are docked at Hoppies, Kimmswick with 2 other Looper boats, D Cea with Dave and Carol aboard, and Shady Acres with Ed and Sue aboard. D Cea folks are past CA marina owners now from FL; Sue is a nurse and Ed, a paramedic, from NY. Hoppies dock master Fern and her daughter Debbie gave their chart talk yesterday late afternoon to brief us all on the upcoming stretch of river. I missed the talk as I desperately wanted a shower and needed to dress my wound. Next, cocktails aboard the D Cea which included non-stop conversation. Nice folks with plenty of life experiences and commentary to share. Happy Hour ran late...that seems to be a common occurrence...so I was most appreciative to have leftovers left over! Clay helped with dishes; I'm finding my finger to be a big inconvenience which is making some simple tasks exhausting. My hand is tired of holding my pointer at constant attention!

The overnight here was uneventful. Fern had tied the boat in prep for possible storms; don't think we had any. But a loud 'pecking' noise awakened me at 1:11 am, then kept me awake most of the rest of the night. I got Clay to investigate but I was right there beside him as we walked the deck; he doesn't wake up too easily and I feared man overboard. He determined fish were feeding off the accumulated plant growth on the bottom of the boat and possible critters. Pesky fish!

We're supposed to have afternoon storms which will bring a welcomed cool down. Even more welcome by the fact we will be anchoring out the next few nights on our way to Green Turtle Bay on Lake Barkley.
Weel, here's to Sunday and all that it may bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment