Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Enjoying Port Charles Harbor Marina (and the Duck Club)



Most of this post is written by Sally:

I find myself perched at what I call Bob Mustell corner at the breakfast counter; when Bob was aboard in WI, he found this great spot for computer work. It has been christened!


Monday eve we had a wonderful time with John arriving after work. We trekked to the Duck Club pool and watched the sun set, then headed back to the boat mooring at Port Charles Harbor for a chuck roast crock pot dinner complete with a Trader Joe's rice blend and salad. Nice to find that the crock pot works just fine and is gonna be a wonderful addition to cooking on board! With the grill now positioned on the rail such that it will burn up the adjacent dinghy, looks like it might be a while before we can break in the grill on this voyage.

John departed for home around 9:15 p.m., and I buckled down to hand-washing and -drying the dinner dishes and prep pans. Clay was at the computer, and, as I found out later, decided to post my first email to you as his blog for the day. Oops! I adamantly told him post-posting that I deserved the right to edit before posting to the blog...there are just some things shared with family and close friends that need not be posted for all eyes to see! He agreed--I hope he remembers that he agreed for I fear he will do it again.

Clay and I had spent much of Monday day organizing and finding places for stuff. But there was, and is, still more to put away. Top maker Kate finished the top adjustments on Monday; and much of what needed to be done by Port Charles folks was completed as well.

Sus arrived close to noon from COMO on Tuesday; she and I departed soon afterwards for a day running the oops-we-forgot-to-pack errands. She was sweet to be my wheels for the day, but we had enough fun that she's already 'threatening' to pop up unexpectedly at occasional ports along our route. You go, girl! Anytime! Anyplace! I fear I will most miss family and friends on this journey even though we will be making new friends.

Sus and I managed to grab a leisurely Panera lunch and go on a scavenger hunt for end-of-season hose parts for Clay; found them at Lowes only to be told by Clay that they were just spares anyway. Darn! We coulda been shopping for girl stuff! Sus and I found some self-purchased birthday presents for ourselves on the way back to the boat when we stopped at the Mills. Once back at the boat, John arrived for another home-cooked meal, a swim and an overnight. Sus departed, and Clay, John and I headed back to the Duck Club for another swim with the setting sun.
 
Dinner was salmon grilled on the George Foreman, but we laughingly say that we killed George during dinner. Seems the grill plate got hot enough to melt the high-temp glue which Clay had used to repair it. It's outta here, but it was a wonderful final meal farewell! As John prepped for bed, he realized the SaSea Sally has no iron, so he had to relax his standards for Wed's appearance at work by wearing the not-ironed look. Not room enough on this boat for everything, but we are finding that we do have room for most anything we deem worthy of the voyage! Even my Nordic Track which was repositioned today to the outside...darn, just too cramped inside with it taking up more than its fair share of space.
Clay's tv designs netted us a Sandra Bullock movie Tuesday night in which even I got involved for a while. Fun way to end the day.

Up this morning (it's now Wednesday, but kinda hard for me to keep track of days), I did my morning workout/stretches then made breakfast for John and saw him off. Clay and I walked, breakfasted, then I swam laps at the Duck Club with the water today much cooler and much less salty. Yay! Clay was doing electronics and mechanical work on the boat--both seem to be hot buttons of his with good training by Daddy Dad--while I swam.

I was under the impression we were boating on down to Alton, but unexpecteds got in our way. We found ourselves borrowing the Pt Chas courtesy car--thanks, folks--running yet more errands for things-we-shoulda-had-aboard-but-don't and/or oops-that's-already-needing-replacement! So, it's now 5:30 p.m. and I'm typing what will undoubtedly be Clay's blog post for today while he washes the boat (MUCH NEEDED!)

Dave and Carol, aboard the D Cea from Ft. Myers, FL, have been tied up adjacent to us for a couple of days. Clay had a beer with them last eve, and it looks as though that's on tap for tonight as well. It seems these Great Loopers do happy hour together then go about dinner solo. Thank goodness I came prepared with many menu items...in fact we left TRM with frig and freezer stuffed which is a good thing....no grocery store nearby for last-minute items, and the Duck Club serves only Thurs-Sun. So I have a marinated pork tenderloin thawing which takes only 20 minutes of baking time; guess we'll test the oven performance tonight.
 
It continues to be hot, here as well as there I'm sure. But the ac works fine as do many of the boat systems. Clay did good prep work, but a shake-down cruise of a week or two might have been a good idea. Guess we're shaking down now!

No comments:

Post a Comment