Monday, August 26, 2013

WE ARE OFF!!!

On Sunday, Sally's XXth birthday, we left Louisiana on the SaSea Sally on our Great Loop adventure.  We took care of a number of "home" tasks, loaded another car load of stuff which we hastily stowed aboard the boat--totes and boxes everywhere!  Cindy and Greg Blaylock were on E-dock as we left and she captured the moment with a picture (yet to be received so we can post it).

Sally's comments can better carry the story:


Hi! Sure is hot!  We launched around 11:12 a.m. Sunday, the 25th, with Cindy Blaylock taking some photos with her tablet. Earlier she had followed us home to 417 to ferry us back to the marina after dropping our car and grabbing some milk at the Quik Shop.

I adapted well to the trawler as deck hand, finding it not a lot different from the MAII. We locked thru Clarksville with only a short wait, but had to wait about 2 hrs in Winfield. Lunch was meager with the boat in less-than-ideal position for cookìng or even retrieving food from frig. Actually, lunch was more snack food; so, I now know I need to be better prepared for a quick grab from the frig by positioning lunch food stuffs at the front. Live and learn!

We arrived at Port Charles about 6:15 p.m., with John and Kristen arriving simultaneously to help tie up. John, of course, has been on board, but not Kristen. She got the tour by John with a few punctuations by me thrown in for good measure. John had brought a bottle of champagne and also a bottle of wine, the champagne to christen the boat and the zin for all of us to try. I'm not much for champagne, but the zin was really good! After regrouping by allowing time for each of Clay and me to shower, we headed next door to the Duck Club for dinner, open Thurs thru Sun nites. It was, as Susan says, FABULOUS! I splurged on sea bass, having had it at Aaron and Amy Newman's wedding reception many years ago and remembering what a treat it was. Expensive, but it was, I guess, my bday gift to myself. I coerced John into having sea bass also.

Today, Kate, the canvas top maker, has been here making some modifications on the top to satisfy Clay that no strong rainstorms will penetrate. Too, some of the Port Chas workmen have been here. I went swimming at the Duck Club pool which was extremely hot and salty (fella said it's salt water; I agreed).

John texted us, indicating he'd like to come out when and if it suits. Sure! He threw his swim trunks in his car this morning, so is on his way out now for a swim and home-cooked dinner. I'm breaking in the crock pot, one of my inheritances from Mom.

We'll be around here again tomorrow, then will head Wed toward Alton then Thursday to Hoppy's I believe Clay said. It's taking awhile to find places for things as there are lots of places to stash stuff--the hard part is remembering where you stashed it! Hope the brain cells stay engaged! Clay thinks an inventory is in the near future.

That's all for now. Was an extremely boring trip from Clarksville down for me, but today has been better. Clay loves his new captain's chair which John tested last eve and agreed wholeheartedly! I think I'm gonna have to find a comfortable support on the fly bridge for me!
Love, Sal and Clay

Clay here:  We met a Looper couple staying next to us on the dock a couple years older than us from Ft Meyers FL aboard the DCea (his name is Dave and hers is Carol).  Darryln Caudill, is my other "DC" friend, maybe I could introduce you! 

All the tasks on the list were completed today but................  We are not getting over the air TV signals, probably a simple wiring connection.  The AIS that locates other large boats and tow boats on our chart plotter screen is receiving some signals, but not as many as it should AND it is not sending the SaSea Sally's location information to other boats as it should.  Called Si-Tex today and will do some diagnostics in the morning.

Beautiful sunset while we swam in the Duck Club pool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment