Saturday, September 14, 2013

Clifton to Pickwick State Park TN



Thursday, September 12, 2013

7:20 a.m. Thursday...What a fun night we had. This boat has a lot of weird sounds...buzzes, thumps, whistles, etc. And, I don't know what most of them are! Can only guess. Awakened at 1:14 a.m. to 3 beeps, a pause, 3 beeps, a pause, et cetera, which continued. Thought I heard maybe a voice or other noise during the pause, but can't remember that part. I nudged Clay to go check. NOTE: Clay does not wake up well nor quickly. He circled the boat interior, proclaimed that he could find nothing amiss, and came back to bed. Well, hello! Something was wrong!

So, in nightgown and barefoot, I circled interior and exterior, finding myself on the fly bridge with the 3 beeps and a voice saying, "Smoke in basement. Evacuate!" 3 beeps, "Smoke in basement. Evacuate!"  Clay had followed me up to the fly bridge, so he grabbed the wireless smoke alarm which continued repeatedly to scream, "Smoke in basement. Evacuate" and headed to the engine room ('basement') where a companion alarm resided, silent. Nothing amiss but my rapidly beating heart and adrenaline rush. I obviously had trouble going back to sleep!

End of saga, but the experience made me think about what I would grab on the way out (a no-no in the real world, but this isn't the real world!). Think I'll keep a bag packed by the exit door from now on!  (If anchored out, I imagine a life vest will be the selection of choice!)  P.S. Also got reacquainted with fish feeding off the bottom of the boat around 4:30 a.m. or so! Introduced to that loud pecking noise in Kimmswick, MO, it still keeps me awake. Nap anyone? And it's only 7:30 am.
 
An update at the end of the day...We departed Clifton, TN by 10 a.m. and clicked off 45 miles and a lock at Pickwick Dam before reaching Pickwick State Park, TN.  The lock chamber had a 55' rise which filled in 13 minutes with us tied to the floating bollard. I find this incredible! Clay was impressed by the turbulence of water discharging from the lock chamber as we approached.

Along the waterway, we found sights of interest for Clay to photograph. Rock formations and stately homes are predictable by now, but the sight of men fishing under the patio/beach umbrellas was a novelty.
Layered geologic formations along riverbank


Staying cool on a hot day!

Stately homes along the river


No comments:

Post a Comment