Sunday, November 2, 2014

Solomons Island to Washington, DC September 22 - 25, 2014,

September 22 - 25, 2014



Putuxant River Naval Air Station satallite dish farm
I was awakened 4:45 a.m. Monday (I don't think a major hail storm would awaken Clay...must be a mom thing) with the sounds of fierce winds blowing, flags flapping, waves sloshing, and blinds clanging; obviously a weather front was passing through Solomons Island (are we in MD or VA? Clueless!) Already awake, I opted for an early trek (6:30 a.m.) to the marina laundry room, figuring I'd have little competition for the duo of washers and dryers. Clay and I then walked our scenic route down the island's spine, curling around the beautifully manicured point and returing to Zahniser's to rescue our laundry as it finished the drying cycle. Back to the boat for breakfast when, halfway through, Captain Clay called for a first mate provisioning run on the marina shuttle, departing at 10 a.m. (Hello...you eat, too.) But I ran a quick comb through my hair, wetting my hands to tame the unruly cowlicks (bed hair, you know) and dashed off with list in hand thinking to myself, "Thank goodness no one knows me here!" (Tho' we all have a bit of pride and a bit of vanity, thus the aforementioned comb.)

Clay and I had earlier discussed winter plans which enabled me to buy some additional items at Food Lion, knowing we'd be aboard at least through week one of November. Despite the continuing fierce winds this Monday morning, the day was beautiful and sunny. And, due to wind, it became rather obvious to all of the boat captains on J dock (our temporary home) that no one was going anywhere today. Hooray! We needed a catch-up day, and I loved being 'forced' into it! My kind of day with some cleaning, bed changing, frig restocking, a bit of reading, clutter sorting, organizing, and finally  leftovers for dinner.

Light house at the mouth of the Potomac River
Strange tower at mouth of Potomic
Tuesday morning, following a second front passing through, we departed under sunny skies toward the Potomac River. 



Schooling fish break the surface
Warf on the Wicomico River anchorage
Sunset
Wicomico River sunset
We  curled around Point Lookout on the Western Shore and turned upriver toward Washington, DC. With plans for a Thursday arrival in DC, we anchored this night at Bushwood Wharf Cove on the Wicomico River and grilled lamb burgers and
Range Control boat that ordered us to leave the channel
romaine for dinner while enjoying an absolutely glorious sunset! Following clean-up of Sally's Galley, I finished a Lisa Scottoline book (new-to-me author recommended by a fellow Looper) which I could hardly put down. I've read two of her books recently and find myself scouring laundry room book exchanges for more books by this author.


Air Force 1's hanger
We pulled anchor Wednesday morning after I put in a half hour on the skier which I'm finding currently to be more of a liability than an asset. In other words, it's a piece of junk (mother nature has not been kind to it, even with meticulously sealing the waterproof canvas cover and routine maintenance) and belongs in recycling (or salvage for parts if even they qualify); but it's the best/only of what I have available for cardio unless I take up boxing (watch out, Clay, I have already defined my punching bag) or jumping rope on the fly bridge (questionable ceiling height). We continued cruising toward DC this overcast, chilly, windy day at the end of which we debated anchoring vs docking. Docking won due to pending storms of undefined magnitude, so Clay targeted Belmont Bay Harbor on the Occoquan River (aren't these river names cool?) in Woodbridge, VA.

Some famous guy lived here a long time ago
Mount Vernon overlooking the Potomac
Now for those of you who want to read the spicy (Clay calls it 'SaSea') side of Sally, please continue below. For those of you who want to skip the sassiness, go to *


 (Narrative from an email to sister Sus):


Fort Washington and lighthouse
"Today (Thursday) dawns, a pretty ugly day. I look pretty ugly right along with it, tho I've gotten a load of laundry done in the marina complex and got my wujjing in despite the chill and constant drizzle. Dressed in capri running tights and a sport bra, I'm protected by a mid-weight fleece pullover compliments of Mickie and the LA Clothing Room. I have on my usual, very worn New Balance running shoes, but plans to don a clean pair of socks and the neon yellow 'waterproof' (advertised and purchased as such anyway) running shoes before departure."

Homes on the Potomac


The day stretches into the noon hour with little signs from the captain indicating departure. So, lunch on tap, then clean-up, and finally a question from Clay, "Do you know if I brought a windsuit?" Heck, I don't even know if I brought a windsuit (yes, I do; I did; and I can find it and prove it in person and on paper because I packed from a list). I replied, "I imagine you brought either the MU one or the blue-and-green one." He found it and without my help. Admirable, because most men usually can't find the gallon of milk on the top shelf of the frig.

Alexandria VA Waterfront
Now, with Clay dressed in his blue-and-green windsuit and me still in my morning running attire, we make preparations to leave. It's still chilly and drizzly, and I fail to understand why we have to move on rather

Beltway span

than to stay put here another day. But the captain is always right (who ever said that?), so we start unhooking

A Beltway bridge

electric and water (careful not to dribble or to stream even more water on me) and untiying lines which are saturated (the only benefit is that they don't kink but they do drip...is that a trade-off?).

We're off and I shout 2:06 p.m. Clay keeps a meticulous (as best he/we can) log of arrival, departure, times, dates, places (including marinas, waterways, anchorages), engine hours (three if you include both Yanmars and the generator), and any notes of interest. I'm sure my notes would be different from his notes. Bound for Washington, DC, we have yet to connect with our friends who are the primary (as in ONLY) reason we are going to DC in the first place. One hundred miles each way on the Potomac to visit them, I guess it's a destination. And, then to have the alert that these moles or groundhogs or whatever you call them are targeting metro systems (and would our nation's capital be first or last on their list?)
 
And to top that off, after reading the above to the captain, he asks, "Did you notice it's raining?" Bonus round. 
Oh and by the way, after spending money on last night's docking because storms were predicted when we'd kinda planned to anchor, we checked in and paid more than we'd have liked for our space/electric only to receive a terrific zipper canvas (waterproof?) tote bag filled with goodies (chardonnay, a current map of the Potomac River, a mini bar of Dove, small travel-size toothpaste tube, small travel-size tube of suntan lotion, a swig-size bottle of Scope, and a floatee key chain). Fun to receive the hostess/welcome 'kit' (it was cool!), but darn if I'd rather have ten or twelve dollars knocked off the docking price.

Well, for all of my other cheerful, positive-attitude emails, you can assess my mood. I'm off to set the rain buckets in the salon without benefit of my gortex jacket (we thought this rain was tapering off, not ramping up). Note: I'm quite sure Clay's feelings parallel mine, but he's never forthcoming as I tend to be! Too, I'm sure Clay's boiling point is higher than mine; he may be set on simmer or low boil but his bubbles don't break the surface. Mine do!

*With twenty-five miles on our agenda Thursday and facing yet another chilly day of wind and drizzle, we delayed departure until Clay's confidence that the weather would clear exceeded my feeling that it wouldn't. Wish I had stuck to my guns! Nonetheless, we departed mid-afternoon and cruised safely some three-plus hours into Gangplank Marina, Washington, DC. It was an ugly day for boating! But, it was a good day for dragging out the jeans and boots (I have one short pair aboard) for dinner at Station4 restaurant, a five-block walk, where menu items were mainly pizza, but delicious pizza at that. 

Clay's first choice in marinas was Capital Yacht Club which had closed only the previous Monday for demolition.  Many of the marinas in Washington DC are in what is called the "Washington Channel" branch of the Potomac.  The Washington Channel is only a few blocks from the Washington Mall and becomes the mall's Tidal Basin which is overlooked by many of the monuments.

Although second choice, Gangplank Marina was a good one. Security was extremely good; fellow boaters/dockmates were exceptionally warm and welcoming; docking costs were logical; amenities (laundry/showers) were available and clean; and location was terrific! Nearby and housed in the same complex as Station4 were a Safeway grocery store, a CVS, a Starbucks, a Metro station, and various other retail establishments. And the downtown of Washington, DC awaited our exploration tomorrow!

More later as our adventures continue in Washington, DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment