Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Melborne to Cocoa Village - May 2-5, 2014



May 2-5, 2014

Friday's morning walk led us under the bridge and through a darling, well-manicured park. We looped back to Vero Beach Marina, prepped for a 9:30 a.m. departure in a brisk wind, upped our speed from 9 to 20 mph to beat the pending storms, and arrived three hours later in Melbourne. Our welcome packet at Melbourne Harbor Marina included a morning paper, a list of useful services, and a map of the nearby downtown area which enticed us to explore. 

We grabbed our only umbrella before heading toward town, knowing that our luck wouldn't hold out all afternoon. We had browsed only a few shops when we got caught in a torrential downpour for which Florida is known. We sought refuge in a cute pasta and wine bar, then were suddenly struck with an 'oh no' moment when I asked Clay, "Did you close up the fly bridge?" We had locked the boat with closed doors and windows (ac on), but had failed to close up the fly bridge. I guess I just figured Clay had done it prior to grabbing the umbrella.

I insisted we head back to salvage what we could. So, I took off my shoes, harbored my cell phone in Clay's breast pocket, and we both squeezed together under the umbrella as best we could to stay as dry as we could and made our way quickly back to the boat, realizing the task ahead! I had shed my shoes to protect them, opting to go barefoot. The drainage system (curbs and gutters, etc) are not good in Florida, especially in 'flash flood' conditions such as we experienced. I waded up to mid-calf as we crossed the street near the marina.

Once we zipped the windows and door of the fly bridge, we bailed and mopped, sopped and squeezed out chamois cloth after chamois cloth as the rain continued to fall. Our major concern which got us up off our rear ends at the wine bar was the nav computer; our plan was to take stock once we turned the electronics back on. I'm hopeful. On the otherhand, my tie-dye top wasn't colorfast; my white capris are no longer white but a mottled green/blue/yellow. Yuk. Trash them (am trying clorox water with high hopes, but...) We won't again leave the fly bridge open under similar circumstances! Live and learn!

As we bailed and mopped,  we noted leaks in the canvas; Clay urged me to remember the specifics for follow-up repair and hoped he still had a can of seam sealer in his stash. We've been so lucky with the weather thus far...a huge blessing! This event, a huge mistake. We won't forget again, I can pretty much guarantee.

Clay selected Ichabods, the casual dining spot bordering the seawall at the marina, for dinner where we enjoyed a relatively inexpensive meal without having to dress up. With my having ruined an outfit of clothing today, I guess Clay felt need to do likewise when his feet slid out from under him, and he saw fit to mop the tile floor with the full backside length of his new yellow tee shirt and khaki shorts. Our attrition rate for clothing today was pretty much 100%. Chalk this day up to experience and one for the record books!

Saturday morning dawned with a break in the weather and a morning walk out New Haven Avenue, the main street of downtown. Circling back to the marina we chanced onto a Farmers' Market with offerings of Avon, Tupperware, and baked goods, but not the huge selection of fruits and veggies of the Gulf Coast. Our earlier purchase of bagels and muffins at a popular gathering spot negated Clay's desire for a loaf of banana nut bread so we made our way back to the boat sans purchase.

My hair had acquired a month's growth and, after going 10 weeks without a haircut in past months, I decided that wasn't gonna happen again; I hated looking like a limp rag or a wet noodle, both of which could describe my appearance 10-weeks post haircut, especially in Florida humidity. Opportunity knocked when I googled 'hair salons in Melbourne, FL.' I found Christine at Oggi Salon at a reasonable price and available for a noon appointment. The pronunciation of Oggi (oh gee) will forever be reinforced in my mind as I walked away sporting a haircut Christine (from Massachusetts) proclaimed 'chic' with a HUGE similarity to Jamie Lee Curtis' style!!!!! I would have never had the courage (guts!) to initiate this cut on my own (I even had a pix in hand of my Lisa cut), but it's quite appropriate to my lifestyle. And, it will grow. Low maintenance! I had arrived at the salon in a downpour and departed in a downpour; I guess the rain isn't over yet! So we opted to stay put and plunked down another $ for another nite's stay at Melbourne Harbor Marina.

Clay's willpower weakened Sunday as we passed the Farmers' Market where he purchased both a loaf of homemade banana nut bread and a breakfast skillet (I'll leave that to your imagination). I jogged off to complete my minutes, then circled back to the boat to prep for departure. Even with 15 mph sustained winds, we were both ready to move on. Temps had dropped, rains had stopped, and the sun was decidedly shining brightly. We departed late morning, destined for Cocoa Village Marina.

Now harbored at Cocoa Village Marina mid-afternoon Sunday, we acquainted ourself with the bus system and boarded at the senior discount rate of 60 cents each for the short ride across the bridge to Publix. Aware of the abbreviated Sunday bus schedule, we hurried through the crowded aisles (when is the last time you saw Clay Logan in hurry mode?), grabbed only the most necessary of purchases, checked out and breathed a sigh of relief when we crossed the street to stand at the bus stop a good 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Frig items stowed, we chose a casual dinner spot from among the many eateries displayed on our Cocoa Village map, noting the many "Sunday closed" or "Sunday, abbreviated hours." Norman's Raw Bar seemed to be a popular gathering spot and Clay's choice, so we hoofed it the short eight or so blocks for a sandwich (actually wrap for me and patty melt for Clay) dinner.

Monday dawns and in that time frame we are current in updating you, our friends, with our latest adventures. Walter scolded me in my last reports saying, "Geez Louise. This old news is old." So, I've thrown Louise overboard and vowed to keep you current. Or at least as current as is possible. Can't write about stuff before it happens!  P.S. I swear Walter sometimes knows more about our goings-on than we do, when Uncle Woody reports in to Mary Alice who is quick to report in to Walter. Woody's info comes from occasional calls to us and from following us on Eagle Track GPS.

No comments:

Post a Comment