Saturday, June 11, 2016

Waterford to Whitehall, NY June 1 - 4, 2016

June 1 - 4, 2016


Concerned early this Wednesday morning as to the amount of moisture which had accumulated overnight in the refrigerator, I began to wipe trays, racks and containers with one, then two, then three dish towels which became more and more irritating. Where WAS all this moisture coming from? And, darn, I see a laundromat visit in my near future with all the towels. Bravely, I tasted a tad but could identify no flavor. Unloading the frig one item at a time, I soon discovered a soaked box of Black Box Chardonnay newly opened the night before; and super sleuth Clay spotted the pinprick hole 11 o’clock of the spout configuration as I tried to drain the remainder into an empty wine bottle and a couple water bottles. What a mess! And, how did that happen? Life is an adventure, that’s for sure.

This occurrence defined my day as I loaded my wheeled tote bag with laundry and set off for Clinton Laundromat. Clay tackled the task of washing the boat while also awaiting the arrival of the Bike Barn fix-it man who would fix our bikes in the course of the day. Prior to these events, we transacted an 8-quarters pump out and relocated the boat for 50-amp power with the help of two new boater friends. Bikes were returned early eve with an accompanying invoice which reflected the pick-up and delivery charge as well as the expense for rectifying damage done by salt water. Ugh! Sure wish we had space for inside storage for our folding bikes.

Early Thursday our morning walk took us across the bridge where we re-provisioned at Hannaford’s Grocery and wheeled their shopping cart back to the harbor for later pick-up. What a service this grocery store offers! And, much appreciated by us boaters! Clay also made note of the Price Chopper located just downriver (Hudson) from Waterford which has a dedicated dock for boaters. We saw a catamaran named Cadillac docked with crew shopping there; Cadillac would later become our overnight companion in Fort Edward.

Thursday’s stats: six locks and 37+ miles on the Champlain Canal. Prior to departure, Clay recruited a fellow boater to help lower our mast; the weight requires additional crew. We had been alerted to low bridge clearance on the waters of the Champlain Canal, so Clay felt it mandatory we reduce our height from 20’. We cruised and locked uneventfully and arrived in Fort Edward, welcomed not by the Cadillac crew already docked there, but by a quartet of middle school aged boys who volunteered to help us tie up. My first question to them was, “Do you know what you’re doing?” I didn’t want to be responsible for smashed or lost fingers (experience is a great teacher)! I managed to make sure each had a task as they chattered away, warning us of the just-happened bank robbery at ‘that bank’ (pointing to within spitting distance). Clay noted the police activity and crime scene tape rapidly being strung around the bank building perimeter. I was too busy managing young boys to pay too much attention to the crime scene. We saw numerous media reports of the robbery on Albany, NY local news NBC, but we felt we were safely surrounded by police…and that, unless the robber had sneaked aboard, he was long gone.

Friday’s stats: four locks, but not sure the number of miles as my concern was the upcoming bridge C14 which stated clearance was 15’. Further notation in Skipper Bob, “This figure applies to ‘high water.’ Under normal pool conditions there is 17’ under this bridge.” SaSea Sally’s clearance with the mast down is 16’8 ” which gives new meaning to the term ‘low bridge’ in my vocabulary; ‘everybody down’ isn’t an option with the canopied fly bridge currently being the tallest structure, and four inches is slim clearance. But Clay dismissed my concern saying, “If Joe (and Pat, Glory Days) can make it, so can we.” God, are you listening? I’m gonna be doing a lot of praying at these low bridges (found out from lockmaster that there are multiple bridges not just this one). Found out further from the lockmaster that C14 clearance, “is usually a few more inches than 17’.”

I wanted to go below as we cruised under bridge C14, but instead I called sister Susan to go thru with me (got her answering machine, so she was no help at all). Made it fine! On to and thru Locks 8 and 9, Captain Clay decided to dock at the Fort Ann free dock for lunch. His comment that the dock looked rickety gave me no reassurance that this was a good idea. (Want my job?) But stop we did, secured to cleats without assistance, and stoked up the ovens for lunch (not really, it was a cold-cuts type lunch straight out of the frig). Glad we’d not opted for lunch out because ‘out’ in Fort Ann didn’t offer much. But the Captain was pleased with his decision to ‘hang out’ a bit and take a few pix. We logged a few steps on my Fitbit then moved toward Whitehall, NY, our overnight destination.

With Lock 12 in sight (by the way, there is no Lock 10), I was eager to complete the last lock (12) and be done with the Champlain Canal System; maybe I have a skewed view of this experience by the time I’ve finished some 32 locks in far less days? But Captain Clay, with Skipper Bob’s advice, pulled up short of Lock 12, docking on the west wall in the town of Whitehall south of bridge C30. With three 50/30/15A power stands, showers, and restrooms available, this was a good choice. And, I noted that the nav chart gave bridge C30 a vertical clearance of 15’, no wiggle room. What’s with that? The LAST bridge on the Canal, and I have to deal with stress? No notation in Skipper Bob, so… We’ll save the stress of bridge clearance and Lock 12, with its accompanying ‘flooding,’ for tomorrow.

Whitehall is ‘a typical “rust belt town” and is trying to recover. A couple of bars and restaurants and a Laundromat are all that is left in the downtown area. Most of the storefronts are decorated like they are open, but most stores in downtown Whitehall are closed.’ Clay scouted the possibility of dining out, but found nothing; so glad I’d planned an alternative.

Saturday morning, following our morning walk, Clay chose to visit the Skenesborough Museum adjacent to the west wall where we were docked. I opted to explore the across-the-bridge neighborhood on foot, circling around to meet up Clay as he finished his museum visit. Although closed, the museum folks allowed him a quick peek. Note: ‘Whitehall is known as the birthplace of the US Navy. Our first small navy of 12 vessels was constructed here in 1776. These vessels were used by Benedict Arnold to prevent the British from invading the colonies. The Skenesborough Museum provides an excellent display of the history of the defense of the Hudson Valley.’

Because I’d traversed the bridge under which we’d soon pass, I had a comfort level I didn’t have the previous day. I was confident we would clear with no problem. Further, with 31 locks under our belts, I felt Lock 12 would be just one more (tho’ it did give me a run for my money, so great was the turbulence; Clay metaphorically compared it to a ping pong game between our bow and stern ball fenders!)

Lock 12 spilled us onto the waters of Lake Champlain. We passed first through a very narrow passage which opened up onto the much wider Lake. I was glad to have paper nav charts aboard and began to acquaint myself with the course toward Chipman Point, VT where we planned to overnight this Saturday night. As we travel in a generally north direction, I will sign, seal and send this your way in hopes that you once again will enjoy the tales of our travels aboard SaSea Sally.

No comments:

Post a Comment