Thursday, March 19, 2015

Rocky Point Anchorage to Indiantown, FL January 17 - 20, 2015



January 17 - 20, 2015

After departing Titusville, Clay and I arrived this Saturday mid-afternoon at Rocky Point anchorage, MM 925 on the ICW and set the anchor without problem. I started a crock pot chuck roast then mounted the fly bridge steps to enjoy some sunshine, warmer temps and a beautiful sunset.

What I'm learning (Sunday morning, January 18th): I've been reading the book Bob gave me which is a compilation of daily readings of things God wants us to know about Him and learn from Him. What I've learned...God wants us only to experience our troubles only ONCE, meaning don't look ahead to possible troubles, but rather see the joy He wants us to experience right now. (Do you see a punch line coming?)

So as I lie awake at 4:30 a.m. this morning, I'm listening to the waves slap against the side of the boat and thus, keeping my readings in mind, listen intently to the tones produced. I did notice that there are different notes produced, as in A, B, C, or Do, Re, Mi...take your pick.

Now, needing to use the bathroom, I putter intently to the front head in the dark counting three (or is it four?) steps up to the main salon then two (or is it three?) steps down to the ONE step down into the bathroom (head) and do a decided turnaround to sit on the toilet seat making sure that the once-before leak in the joker valve (or was it a solenoid?) hasn't unexpectedly filled the toilet bowl. Finish. Flush. Ooooo, that flushing noise didn't sound right...soon followed by a weird loud beeping (from where) which also didn't sound right. Heart rate increase. Adrenaline increase. (And, I'm expecting to go back to sleep?) Exiting the bathroom and retracing my steps, I found my pathway was lighted by alternating red and green lights coming from a white box mounted by the back salon stairway. CO alarm. Uh-oh!

And, the beat goes on. Was I enjoying all of these noises to which I was alert? Calgon!

Little did we know that in the course of the morning, we would retrieve the anchor successfully and with minimal effort, but prior to anchor retrieval we'd have to deal with a port engine that wouldn't start, setting off yet more beeps, whines, whistles and flashing lights. This time all three CO sensors were sounding, legitimatizing the presence of carbon monoxide at which point I opened the cabin doors to emit the vapors (I think Clay said carbon monoxide is heavier than air and thus sinks...guess I shoulda started sweeping) while Clay dealt with the engine problem. (Clay had replaced only two of the three CO sensors after buying the boat, so the early a.m. sensor was probably the old one needing to be replaced. Who knows?)

Sunday morning continued as we motored down the ICW on both engines (PTL) with a wicked wind (mostly tailwind) toward Stuart where Clay had planned two overnights. Upon arrival, I took a short walk to reacquaint with the land area of Stuart while Clay cozied up to the television to watch the playoff games. Dinner was casual and maybe a bit 'relaxed' on nutrition, but we were fed.

Our friends Barb and Jan Moore, who winter in a nearby Port St. Lucie RV Park, arrived mid-morning Monday with friends Diane and Dennis for a double-D boat tour and lunch at nearby Sailor's Return. They departed as Looper friends Joe and Pat Apicella arrived by car for a greatly-appreciated grocery run to replenish SaSea Sally's pantry and frig; Joe was having big-time sciatic nerve problems for which I offered my two-cents worth of advice, having been-there-done-that. Such wonderful friends we have, both silver and gold.

Our departure plans Tuesday morning were on, then off, then on again as Clay assessed weather conditions. Chill and wind, but doable. The decision to depart Stuart late morning initiated the Lake Okeechobee crossing toward Ft. Myers on the Gulf. As I set fenders in prep for our first lock, I noticed bits of tree branch and vegitation debris littering the deck. Upon further investigation, these bits were accumulating quickly and were falling from the sky. It was raining ash, which feathered down, speckled our deck and disintegrated upon touch. That will be fun to clean up, I thought, then quickly went about closing doors to the main cabin and windows to the fly bridge, trying not to track the soot to any interior compartment lest we have to clean those, too.

Our first lock on the St. Lucie Canal, connecting the Atlantic at Stuart to Lake Okeechobee, was an experience unlike other locking adventures. Water in the lock chamber doesn't 'bubble' from below the boat but rather pours thru the gate which 'bath tubs' the chamber. Wow! What force we encountered as the water gushed in (we were going up and the chamber was filling from the front opening gate). It took both of Clay and me to hold the boat snug to the chamber wall. A forecast of other locks to follow, we were glad to have this experience under control and under our belts! Oh, and the lock master told us the ash was produced by the burning husks of the sugar cane fields along the waterway. Oh joy, another forecast of hours to follow. What a mess!

We arrived Indiantown Marina, tested and trouble-shot our new (less-than-Dahon) bicycles, then Clay washed the deck free of the ash accumulation as I prepped dinner. We noticed flies re-entering the picture which indicated, from our past experience, either: a) warmer temps or b) swampland. Another forecast of hours ahead.

On that note, I will close and wish you a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment